Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. I’ve always loved breakfast foods, and love going to cafes that have all day breakfasts. Sometimes I don’t want to go out though, and want something quick an easy, along with awesomely healthy, that I can make at home to satisfy my breakfast cravings. Enter, poached eggs!
Both me and Michael have become a fan of poached eggs, especially on avocado toast. My sister taught me how to make these, and they are super easy to make, so I thought I’d share here.
1/4 cup white vinegar
As many eggs as you want to cook
- Add the water and vinegar together in a pot and bring to a light simmer
- Crack an egg into a small cup (I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup)
- Once the water is at a light simmer, stir in a circular movement with a fork, then tip the egg into the center. This will help it to hold together, rather than turning out a mess!
- Cook for about 2 minutes for a soft yolk, or 4 minutes for a firm yolk
- Use a slotted spoon to put out of the water, and dry on some paper towel
- Repeat for as many eggs as you are cooking. If I’m making a few, to serve them up at the same time, I cook them one at a time and then pop them back in the water together at the end to warm up again. I’ve never had much success cooking more than 2 at once!
These are great by themselves on some buttered toast, or with a little salt and pepper. They also go well on toast spread with some avocado, or toast with ham. My sister loves them as eggs benedict too.