My sister made some awesome peri peri chicken one night when I visited her place using a premade spice mix. I wanted to try it at home, but Michael was teasing me that I can’t use a premade spice mix since I like cooking for scratch. Turns out I had everything on hand to cook it from scratch anyway, so I accepted the challenge!
4T lemon juice
2t chilli flakes
4T olive oil
Handful of parsley
- Chop the parsley finely
- Make the marinade by combining the garlic, lemon juice, oil, parsley and chilli
- Chop the chicken into pieces. I used chicken breast, but you could use thigh fillets, drumsticks, wings or any other pieces as well
- Mix the chicken through the marinade and leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours, stirring occasionally, to infuse the flavour
- Cook in a fry pan on medium with any remaining marinade until cooked through
- Serve with vegetable, a side salad or potato wedges. I used a salad with kale, spinach, mushroom, feta, tomatoes, pineapple and cucumber
This recipe was rather successful, and for something so quick and easy, I will be making it again for sure! It could also work with chopped ginger as well, and you can adjust the amount of chilli and lemon juice to suit your preferences.