Since we’re off to Phuket, Thailand, today, I thought I’d share some random facts about where we’re heading, since I enjoy finding out about the places that I’m going.
- Thailand is officially known as the Kingdom of Thailand, and was formerly known as Siam. It is located in South-east Asia, bordered by Burma, Laos, Cambodia, the Gulf of Thailand, Malaysia, and the Andaman Sea.\
- In terms of size, it is the world’s 51st largest country, with an area of around 513,000km square, and the has approximately 64 million people.
- The capital is Bangkok, and this is also the largest city.
- The official language is Thai, and the currency is Thai Baht
- The primary religion is Buddhism, practised by around 95% of the population.
- Thailand is also the only country in South-east Asia never to be colonised by European power.
- Phuket (where we are staying) is a city located in the south-east of Phuket Island. The population in Phuket is over 75,000 people. Phuket is famous for its night life and fine dining, and is a favourite for international travellers.
- Popular things to do in Phuket include beaches, shopping, cabaret shows, visiting temples and the Big Buddha, pampering and the night life There are also plenty of chances for adventure, such as white water rafting, elephant treks, snorkeling, sea kayaking and scuba diving.
- The timezone is 4 hours behind Sydney