26 Projects – Starburst Canvas


I spent some time wondering what to do with some of the canvases I’ve purchased recently and decided I wanted it to be painted in gold and silver so that it will go with almost anything in our new house when it’s built. I finally settles on painting a starburst, based loosely on this piece by Elise. I needed very little supplies for this, just my canvas, a pencil to mark out lines, masking tape and scissors to tape up the sections, gold and silver paint and a paintbrush.


To start with, I marked out the spacing on there, since I wanted the starburst fairly evenly space, then marked which colours would go where, to make sure I wasn’t going to end up with 2 gold or 2 silver sections together at the end. I also picked a random spot on the canvas to be the middle point, since I decided I didn’t want it centred.


Next up, I started taping off a few sections at a time to paint. This took a bit of getting used to… I could only tape a few at a time to make them fit, since they all tapered into the same centre point.

FourEach section in gold took 2 coats of paint, and the silver took 3 coats, I think because it wasn’t as thick. I was surprised how dull the colours looked when first painted on, but once they dried, they ended up with the metallic look I was after. I made sure I did all of the coats and that they were completely dry before pulling off the tape, as I didn’t want to risk it pulling up the paint.


To start with, I only taped 3 or 4 sections at a time, but as I got the hang of it, I started to be able to tape up a lot more sections at once. This made it go much quicker, that’s for sure! My tip for painting more sections at a time is to cut the masking tape at an angle at the top, so that it has a pointed edge which means that you can fit more of the tips at the centre point. When doing lines next to each other, I would carefully line the tape up along the line of the other colour, and would make sure it was taped well, without any bumps. Only a few of them bleed to other sections, but they’re easy to tape up.


In total, this took me about a week and a half to paint. I would tape up some sections and paint them each night, then leave it to dry completely overnight, then start the process again the next night. It worked pretty well for me, and I love the end results! If I do another canvas like this, the only change I would make would be to make each section wider, possible twice as wide.


This is project 11 of 26 in my attempt to make 26 crafty projects before turning 27 on 19th June, 2013. The 26 projects idea was inspired by Elise Blaha

See project 123456789 & 10 or all projects on Pinterest


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s