My November goals were basically a write off, as I got very little done compared to what I was hoping, but it was still a lot of fun, and my goals pretty much shifted throughout the month to completely different things, so I’m ok with that.
This month I will:
- Complete another round of 100 Things (I got to around 80-90 in November!)
- Finish the last little bit of my 2012 December Daily album
- Host Christmas lunch/dinner with Dad and my sisters
- Enjoy plenty of family time though out the month
- Practice night photography by taking photos of all the lovely Christmas light goodness!
- Decorate for Christmas
- Complete at least one Christmas craft (plans are in place for a Christmas garland, table runner and tree skirt, but as I’m not sure if my sewing machine will work, I’m aiming for at least one!)
- Work on my 2013 December Daily album (first post coming shortly!)
- Get Christmas photos taken with my sisters
- Send out Christmas cards (I have plans made so far, but have not yet started making them, so I’ll be getting that done within a day or so)
Christmas time is my favourite, and I can’t believe it’s here already! Santa comes later this month, and I hope everyone reading this has been good and made it on the nice list!
My One Little Word for the year is Choose. Each month this year, I’m making a list of things I choose to do throughout the month. These will generally be fun things to prioritize, rather than a set to do list. You can see my “Choose” posts here. I have also made some “Choose” anklets, as a way to keep my word close to me each day, and you can see these here.
If you don’t know what One Little Word is, you can read more about it in this post from Ali Edwards. I will be undertaking Ali’s One Little Word class again this year, and creating an album about my word and the changes it’s manifesting in my life.
We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in Australia, but after all the talk about being grateful that I’ve seen online lately, I’ve been feeling rather grateful myself and wanted to reflect on that. It feels like such a great time to start recording a lot of these things since we’re coming into the holiday season, so here are a few of the things I’ve been grateful for lately. Some are rather trivial, but hey, it’s the little things that make life sweet!
These are in no real order, but there’s enough for every day of the month:
- Michael. He is my favourite for sure! I’m super glad he’s in my life
- The newest game he’s got me hooked on, Payday 2. It’s great fun! Yes, that probably makes me a nerd, but I do love first person shooter games!
- Ice cold water in the fridge. It’s coming into summer here, and it’s been quite warm, so this is always a refreshing treat!
- Spending time with family on the weekends. It never seems like it’s long enough for a catch up, but it’s always worth it, even having to drive an hour and a half each way
- Our house has windows now! After starting to build months after the builders promised, things are finally coming together and it’s going up oh-so-quickly. It’s super exciting!
- Mangos. Enough said!
- Clearing out some of the junk around here that I don’t want to move house with us. To be fair, most of it’s not actually junk, it’s just clutter that was taking up space. It’s nice to feel like we’re ending up with more breathing room here.
- Crafty time. I’ve been working on my December Daily lately, and it’s been so much fun! I’m super excited to start this years album. I feel so much more peaceful when I do crafty projects
- How well my indoor parlour palm is doing. It makes me smile each time I see it! I’ve never had a plant thrive as well as this one seems to before. At least not under my care!
- That Michael sends me flowers each month for no apparent reason. He is the sweetest, and they always brighten my day!
- My phone. I love getting to check instagram, facebook, twitter, email and the likes at any point in time. I rarely text or on my phone anymore, but I certainly use it for the internet a lot!
- How happy Michael is at getting his new laptop. Although I think secretly he’s only this happy because he’s the IT guy, yet I had a better laptop than he did up until this week!
- Purple work shoes. At least now that I’m getting over the blisters they caused! They are bright and cheerful and make me super happy!
- Lists. I don’t think I would stay sane without them!
- Getting to take a little mid-week get away with Michael. It had been over a year since we had a break together. It was fun to hang out with him at the zoo and spend a few days eating amazing food!
- How much more I have documented this year than any other. 6 months of PL, almost daily journalling, blogging and a few other random projects. This makes it happy, and makes taking all those extra photos so much more worth it!
- Weekend sleepins. I don’t sleep enough during the week most of the time, and I love my Saturday catch up!
- Visiting my cousin, her hubby, and her kids, and being surprised to see her sister, hubby and kids there too! I love the rare catch ups I have with distant relatives!
- The fact that I have my Christmas present list mostly sorted for this year. Now to finish up shopping and start wrapping!
- Reading. I’ve always been a book work, but always seem to forget just how much I enjoy reading when I have so many other hobbies. Started the latest series I’m reading (Wicked Lovely) is a great reminder!
- Being given the chance to train the newest addition to my team at work. I’ve spent the last month training, and while it’s been fairly full on, it’s also super rewarding!
- The fact that I managed to get the sound working on my laptop again tonight, after having a few issues with it this week. It worked with headphones, but not my speakers.
- BBQ weather! My favourite dinners involve pretty much any meat cooked on the BBQ along with a big salad. Got to love summer for that!
- The Digital Project Life sale going on the moment. I was planning on stocking up on a few extra bits and pieces, and now I can afford to a little more easily. Also, how amazing is the Just Add Colour kit?
- The ability to sew. It comes in handy when I need to add new buttons on my work pants because the clip they came with was never set properly, so it kept coming undone.
- Getting to see Nan from the farm one night this month. We only see her once every year or 2 since she lives so far away, so it was nice to catch up a little.
- My bike basket. It was a perfect size for my big camera, and super handy for our ride around the zoo!
- The fact that Photoshop works so well on this computer, especially now that I seem to spend so much time using it lately!
- The blogs that keep me entertained daily. I’d be lost without them, and I’m glad that I’ll get to have a bit more time to spend looking at them going forward! The little things
- Our big office printer. I’m dreading moving it in April, but loving all the printables I can do with it. Great for projects!
In preparation for my December Daily this year, I’ve decided to list a heap of ideas that I want to include. I may not use all of these ideas… There is a high likelihood of that, since there are more ideas then there are days, but hey, at least I won’t be stuck with a blank day because I can’t think of something to write about!
- Your holiday intentions and how your aim to celebrate the season
- The weather wherever you are. Is it the same as every other year, or something out of the ordinary? Do you like it, or do you long for the reverse?
- Christmas lists (to do lists, grocery list, gift list, wish list, card list). I love including these!
- Newly made Christmas decorations along with instructions
- Family Christmas card along with any sort of newsletter to go with it. Also a sample of the stamps you’ve used when you’ve sent it
- Your Christmas traditions. When you started them, why you decided to start the tradition, who’s involved, why you love it
- Christmas food. Your favourite things to eat, what your traditional go-tos are, anything new you’ve tried, Christmas treats you make and share. Share some favourite Christmas recipes
- Favourite Christmas songs
- Favourite Christmas movies
- Favorite Christmas decorations. Where they came from, how long you’ve had them, etc
- Viewing Christmas lights
- You’re tree (and of course the glowing bokeh with Christmas lights!). How you decorate it, favourite ornaments, real vs fake, colours to decorate with, etc
- Pinterest favourites for the season
- Holiday rituals
- Christmas parties you attend
- Letters to Santa (and no, this is not just for the kids!)
- Gifts you are giving and gifts you receive. Why you chose particular gifts. Were they handmade or store brought.
- Childhood memories of Christmas
- Wrapped presents under the tree. Do you like the presents to match? Prefer bags or gift wrap? Include a sample of what you wrap the presents in. What do you use for gift tags?
- How do the holidays make you feel? Who do you celebrate with? When does the season start and end for you?
- Joy is… prompt
- Visiting Santa
- Collage of Christmas decorations
- A round up of highlights from the year
- What’s the Best thing that happened to your family this past year?
- Last Minute Christmas Preparations
- Are you travelling over Christmas? Where, when, why? How do you celebrate while travelling?
- Welcoming the New Year
- The Best Part About the Holiday Season is…
- Boxing Day and how you prefer to spend it.
This is just a handful of many things that work for me and the way I celebrate with my family, so there are many more ideas you could try as well. I hope this list comes in handy for you as well
Feeling: Grateful to have a few days off work to spend with Michael. We haven’t been away together since NZ last year!
Loving: Dubbo Zoo… I’ve never been before, and it’s bigger than Taronga Zoo, has a few different animals, and you can drive or ride around. So much fun!
Waiting: For the start of December so that I can spend some time working on my December Daily for this year. Amazingly, I’m still excited about it, even though I’m finishing up my one from last year still!
Watching: Lots of little video clips of people prep work for December Daily. I have lots of ideas and inspiration to get working on my album
Debating: Whether or not to invest in Becky Higgins’ Creative Live class. What I saw was super inspiring and fun, but it’s pretty expensive.
Working: On clearing out 100 things from the unit this month. It’s almost the end of the month though, and I’m still only about half way through!
Organising: Documents on my computer STILL! This is taking me forever! And sometimes I think I download them faster than I can organise them.
Eating: Quite good food all week… We’ve had High Tea at the zoo, tried out the Lion’s Pride restaurant in Dubbo (it has amazing snitzel and ribs!), a tapas place and a pizza place. The pizza place was a letdown though.
Planning: On getting lots of December Daily work done while Michael is away this week, including printing the last of the photos off for 2012 tomorrow after work.
Enjoying: The new game Michael brought for me, Payday 2. I started playing yesterday, and it’s quite fun! Especially in multiplayer.
This is just a quick heads up to let you know that I’m going away for few days with Michael, so I may be missing for a few days. We’ll be back on the weekend, and I’m not sure if I’ll have internet access or not yet, so we’ll see if I’m online or too busy having fun!
I’ve been lacking in the photo taking department lately… I’ve barely taken any lately! It’s meant that I’ve been struggling to work on Project Life pages, too, since I don’t really have enough photos to use… I’m pretty sure some weeks over the last few months I’ve only had a 3 or 4 photos for the whole week! Good thing I keep diary and can take filler photos if needed!
In an effort to try start taking more photos before the Christmas season fully hits, I’ve decided I’m going to start using Instagram again. Yes, I’ve also been lacking on the instagram front as well! I only shared 1 photo in October and 3 in September… Yikes!
But I promise you all now that I’m going to start taking more pictures again, and sharing on Instagram again. Be patient with me, it may take a while to get into the routine again! These are a few of my recent pictures from the last month. If you want to follow along and check my progress, you can find me on Instagram here
There will be plenty of projects over the next few months, December Daily pages to be made, getaway adventures and zoo pics, family catch ups and lots more, so I’m excited to get behind the lens again!
A friend tagged me on Facebook to share 8 random things about myself. I love these kinda of lists, so I thought I’d carry on the trend
- I wear gumboots to work on rainy days so I can splash in puddles and still get to work dry
- I usually take around 500 photos a month or more, even without kids or pets
- I don’t own a TV at all, and haven’t for over 5 years. I still love watching TV shows though
- I’m in the process of building a place, and I love it, but it’s so much more time-consuming and challenging than I expected!
- I collect shot glasses and beer mugs from the places I visit around the world, yet they have been in a box since I moved to this unit 3 years ago since I have nowhere to keep them out
- I’ve been keeping a blog for about a year and a half now, and have written over 300 posts in that time
- I’m super excited about Christmas coming up, and have a list of Christmas crafts I want to make and officially started Christmas shopping last week
- I love reading young adult books, and I’m currently reading the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr, which is about faeries
If you want to join in the fun, I’d love to see your post so leave me a comment!
Me and Michael are going on a mini break next week so I’ve spent some time recently working on a mini album similar to this one to take away with me. We’re heading to Dubbo for a few days so that we can visit family and also go to Western Plains Zoo for a couple of days.
So far I have the base pages made, which are 2 sheets of craft cardstock and 2 sheets of a yellow Bo Bunny lined cardstock cut down to 4×6 and punched at the side for my rings to bind it. I’ve also gathered a few supplies such as some Cathy Zielski grid labels and a few washi tapes. I’ve also printed some Ali Edwards journalling prompts from here.
I may print a few 3×4 journalling cards that I can use as well, and colour in some stamped zoo animals with copics, but I’m undecided yet. I do like having the limited supplies to make it easier to put everything together.
This all fits into a small plastic case for me to take away so that I can work on it on the go, and then I’ll finish assembling it once I get back home from the trip. I’ll be adding things such as photos and papers from our trip as well.
I’ll post an update once I have it finished
This month is starting out to be a busy one. Lots of projects going on, but also full on days at work and lots happening at home. How is it that it can be so busy at this time of the year? It’s not even Christmas yet! On a side note, I am rather excited about the fact that next month it’s Christmas though
So, 10 things I’m working on this week seems like a good idea for tonight’s post!
- Training a new girl at work. This is the first time that I’ve been in charge of training a new person at work from start to finish, and I quite enjoy it! Our newest team member is quite lovely, and has quite good knowledge about our products already, so it’s more learning about our procedures and systems. It means that I come home rather exhausted though, because although it’s fun, it’s hard work!
- Coming up with fundraising ideas to help our my sister’s with their fundraising efforts for their trip to volunteer in an African orphanage. I’m making a fundraising binder so that we can start recorded dates things are on, to-do lists, new ideas, ways to make existing ideas better, fundraising goals and the likes. It’s fun! We’re also coming up with ideas for products we can sell at the markets and awesome ways we can display things.
- Organising files on my laptop. I have to say, this is a much bigger task than I ever expected! I’ve managed to copy everything off my old hard drive onto the new one, but decided that once and for all, I was going to get everything organised fully on here. I still have all of my photos to go, along with a folder of things within my Project Life folder and a folder in my folder. That’s not counting the 3 external hard drives that have multiple backups and thousands of duplicated files. It’s a mess!
- On the topic of digital organisation, I am also working on clearing out the bookmarks I have in Google Chrome. I started at a guess about 3000 or more… I’d be well into the hundreds now. It helps I deleted the biggest number of them all in error though.. Much quicker way of doing things!
- Catching up on entering my diary entries into Oh Life… For about 3 months now, I’ve been randomly jotting down what I get up to each day on bits of paper, so I have quite a lot of typing ahead!
- Finding 100 things to get rid of. I’m off to a slow start and have only gotten rid of 16 items so far. I have a list of stuff to go though, and I’m hoping to make a good start on it over the weekend!
- Reading the Wicked Lovely book series. I’ve spent an hour or more getting them all covered (I’m fussy with books, and don’t like them getting damage so always spend the time to cover them in contact when I read them), and I’m half way through book one now. I love these books, even if they are young adult books
- Coming up with ideas for our future garden. While visiting our block, we’ve looked at some of the gardens of the houses around us and come up with a few ideas. I also have some books to go through. It’s fun, but way more challenging to me that decorating the inside of the place, since I’m clueless about all things plant related!
- Making a list of all of the Christmas presents we’re going to give this year, and starting the process of buying and making everything. We have 13 people to buy for, and have ideas for just over half of the presents, which is a good start. I’m hoping to have the shopping done by the end of the month if possible.
- Working on a mini album project for an upcoming getaway with Michael. I’ll share more shortly, but I’m quite enjoying it! A few more supplies to round-up, and a few more cutouts to do, and I’m good to go
Just a quick update to say that we now have concrete!!! It wasn’t supposed to be in until tomorrow, but it was done a few days early. It’s nice to see something on our block apart from dirt and rocks!